3/15/2013

Look in a book, *snap snap*, in a book...

(Anybody else remember that song, btw? Was it from Reading Rainbow? Anyway...)

Dear blog,

I realized recently (read: just now) that I spend more time thinking about reading than I do actually reading. Oh sure, I've got the Goodreads account, and I'm very self-congratulatory whenever I manage to actually finish something, but more often than not, I'm dwelling on what I want to read, or ought to read, and not actually turning the pages of any books. In that spirit, I thought I would share my current "to-read" list with you now. Then, in three months time, we can all look back and laugh about how I never got around to reading a single one of these.

Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. This would be a re-read for me. Obbbbbviously, I've already read the Scott Pilgrim series in its entirety. And seen the movie. Twice. Jeez, what kind of a hipster would I be (I'm not a hipster)? Lately, I just feel a hankering to return to Bryan Lee O'Malley's video-game version of Toronto, which just so happens to be my adopted city. For that reason, I feel like I'm due for a second reading, if only to see how it feels to read it within the context of the city that I now know. Plus, let's be real, I can just never get enough of Ramona Flowers. I kind of want to be Ramona Flowers. But that's a whole other blog post...

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Another re-read. This book. Oh God, this book. I'm normally very dissociated from the books that I read, and while I have, on occasion, found a novel that warms the cockles of my cold, black heart, this was the first one that ever provoked me to openly weep. And I don't mean a lone tear trickling down my cheek, I'm talking about a full-fledged, messy, drippy cry. A good one for those special times when you feel like you need to reconnect with humanity.

Jazz Age Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I can't say much about this one, as I've not read it yet. I just feel like I should.

The Bedside Book Of... series. I recently came across four books from this series on the clearance rack at Chapters. I've no idea if there are more books in the series; one can only hope. The best way I can explain these books (insofar as I can surmise, I mean) is to say that they're kind of like that "For Dummies" series, except, not for dummies. For smart people. They're slim little books packed with facts about traditionally boring stuff, and the writing's all snappy-like, and I just find myself very, very drawn to them. At least with these ones, if I never get around to breaking the spines, they'll look nice gathering dust on my shelf. They're quite cute. And, yes, I do judge a book by its cover.

Sometimes I don't know how to end a blog post. Uh... books, hooray! Three cheers for literacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment